News Briefs

0
85

(AP) — North Carolina authorities have arrested two people in

connection to the fatal shooting of a teenager. News outlets report

a 17-year-old boy was arrested Sunday and charged with involuntary

manslaughter in the death of 19-year-old Tyjuan Jaquar Gibson.

Twenty-year-old Joseph Daquan Scott was arrested and charged with

making a false police report. Salisbury police say the 17-year-old,

Gibson and other teenagers were at Scott’s house last week. They say

firearms were present and the 17-year-old shot Gibson. Police say he

and another person took Gibson to a hospital, where he died. Authorities

say Scott then falsely reported his car stolen to the Rowan County

Sheriff’s Office, which found the abandoned vehicle and two weapons.

Authorities determined the incidents were related. It’s unclear if

the 17-year-old or Scott has a lawyer.

• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has traced an ongoing

E. coli outbreak to romaine lettuce grown in the Central Coastal

region of California. Lettuce from other parts of the U.S. and Mexico

is safe to eat, the CDC says. However, if you’re not sure where your

romaine lettuce came from, err on the side of caution and throw it out,

health experts say. A total of 43 people in 12 states have been infected

in this outbreak. No deaths have been reported.

• After Van Dyke was convicted of murder in the death of Laquan

McDonald in 2014 three other officers were at the station are scheduled

to go on trial Tuesday on charges they tried to cover up for him.

The charges against Officer Thomas Gaffney, former Officer Joseph

Walsh, and ex-Detective David March include obstruction of justice,

official misconduct, and conspiracy to commit those offenses. The

trial will focus on “consistently false information that could not have

been submitted except for an agreement to write consistently false

information,” Assistant Special Prosecutor Brian Watson said at a

hearing in the case last month.

• (AP) — North Carolina authorities have increased security at a high

school after investigators say they found a homemade explosive in an

abandoned vehicle nearby. It wasn’t clear if there was a link between

the device and the school. But the Lenoir County Sheriff’s Office said

Sunday that investigators combed North Lenoir Senior High School

over the weekend as a precaution. The investigation began Saturday

after an all-terrain vehicle used for maintenance was stolen from the

school. The vehicle was found a short distance away, and while deputies

searched the area they found another vehicle in a field and saw

what they described as a homemade explosive inside. Sheriff Ronnie

Ingram said surveillance video showed no one had entered the school,

but they searched campus to make sure there were no hazards.

• The Camp Fire’s death toll has increased to 88, while 203 remain

missing, the Butte County Sheriff said during a Monday night news

briefing. The wildfire, the deadliest and most destructive in California’s

history, was contained on Sunday after burning for 17 days. It

ravaged 153,336 acres (240 square miles).Of the 88 dead, 54 have

been tentatively identified. Another 16 have been positively identified.

Of those 16, 13 were residents of Paradise — the town nestled

in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, charred to an eerie wasteland of

burnt-out cars and home foundations.

• A Fayetteville man was charged Monday with being a fugitive from

justice from Will County, Ill., where he was wanted for dumping a

woman’s body in a hole, according to documents.Deiontae Shawnrico

McMillian, 24, will be charged with concealment of a homicidal

death when he is extradited to Illinois.He is accused of putting the

body of Danica Shernay Ford, of Concord, in a hole in a wooded area

in Joliet, which is about 25 miles southwest of Chicago.

• A driver trying to park a minivan in Manhattan’s bustling Chinatown

careened over a curb and onto a sidewalk Monday night, killing one

person and injuring six others, authorities said.At least two of the

injured victims were in critical condition; two others had injuries

that were serious but not life-threatening, police said.Police and fire

officials responded to the corner of Canal and Forsyth streets about

6:47 p.m., where they said that minutes earlier, a 70-year-old man had

tried to park a minivan. But in so doing, they said, the man had hit the

gas rather than the brakes, and the minivan mounted a curb, smashing

two fruit carts and striking several victims.

Previous articlePaparozzi Responds to Synagogue Shootings, Violence in Society
Next articleUpcoming Events
UNCP student newspaper since 1947.

Leave a Reply